Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Who said it?

"Whether you agree with me or disagree with me; like me or loathe me, don’t bind my hands when I am negotiating on behalf of the British nation."

Theresa May?  Sounds like it.

But no, its John Major.  Yes, those were the words of John Major when he was Prime Minister in 1997. The context was he said that ruling out abolition of the pound and of joining the Euro would send him "naked into that conference chamber with nothing to negotiate, with nothing to wring the best deal out of our partners."

Fair changed his tune now has our John. Every paragraph of the speech he made at Chatham House was intended to weaken the UK’s negotiating position. It was all about talking Britain down.

Did he do damage?  Yes, sadly to himself and his own legacy.

No comments: