Wednesday, May 06, 2015

How much is Ed Milibands house worth?

One of the phrases that has been doing the rounds this last week of the campaign has been Labour will speak up for the workers as if they are some minority that is being done down by the Coalition.  It’s been used time and time again.  The workers, they must be a distinct group of nearly extinct people that Ed wants to speak up for.

This confuses me.  In Scotland we have 94% of people eligible to work in work.  Which leaves 6% unemployed.  Some of that 6% will be what we call residual unemployment, people between jobs for example. 

Ed Miliband, in these class ridden statements, invites us to comment.  And I will. Ed Miliband is the only party leader whose house would be hit by Labour's mansion tax.  The Labour leader's north London home is worth a whopping £2.7m, more than triple the area's average house price, according to online property portal Zoopla which also reckons a Labour win would be bad for housing.  And Zoopla should know better than any politician.

It really is the economics of the madhouse from Labour.  Business leader after business leader I meet has the same story.  They struggled to get out of the the mess the last Labour government left us with. And crucially they are enjoying a little bit of growth and stability now.  They hold their heads in their hands when they listen to Labour and the SNP. Tax and spend. It brings back the memories of the last time Labour had their hands on the wheel when Ed Miliband, Gordon Brown and Ed Balls, the man who aspires to be chancellor, drove us to the edge of the the fiscal cliff, and they are still in denial of what they did.

Ed hasn’t a clue what it’s like to be a “worker”.  He’s never been one.  Or what it’s like to be a business owner as he so clearly demonstrated in the three way leaders debate on BBC.  He just doesn’t get that the public sector needs a dynamic productive sector.

In a Sky News question-and-answer session with young voters, the Labour leader was asked about his life experience outside politics.  What qualifies him to represent the people of Britain?

His answer: “I’ve done a number of things which I think, I hope, are relevant to this. I was obviously an economic adviser in the Treasury and I think that’s important. I think that’s important because the economy and how we change our economy is at the heart of the country.  I’ve taught. I taught at Harvard University.  I actually taught around government and economics and I think that, actually, one of the things that that did for me … [was the ability] to listen and engage with people about what their issues are, what they’re interested in.”  Read that answer again.  Let it sink in.  He's done nothing in the real productive world that pays for the politicians promises. (It was in 2003 that he did his stint in Harvard, a year's sabbatical, to study and lecture at Harvard's Centre for European Studies, before becoming an MP for the safe seat of Doncaster North in 2005).

Yes, I’ve been personal here, a thing I’ve consistently tried not to be in my blog.  But it’s the hypocrisy.  It's breathtaking.  And if you vote Labour, that's what you're voting for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, not even a real job at Harvard? He taking the piss or what?