Friday, July 07, 2017

Mob rule. That's what has become of Grenfell.

Last night the former High Court judge “lost the room” because, according to Mr Joe Delaney of the Grenfell Action Group, Sir Martin Moore-Bick “couldn't even control the crowd and hold them. I have heard public speakers who can shut up a stadium full of thousands of people. This man couldn't hold a room with 200 or so people.”  This shows a bit of a misunderstanding of what Sir Martin there to do.   Find the facts, not be a public speaker.

Another resident Melvyn Akins, said there was "frustration, anger and confusion" in the meeting, and that Sir Martin told those gathered that he could not start work on the enquiry until his terms of reference were established.  I’m sorry; on what planet did he think he was on assuming that he could start without the terms being set?  It's like going on a football field before someone has decided what the size of the pitch should be. Why had his expectations been set to assume that?  And on a more sinister vein, who gave him the impression that it could be started without terms of reference being set?

Then there was the comment, “People firmly believe that arrests should be made as a result of the outcome of all of this. If arrests are not made, people are going to feel justice may not be being done.

Arresting people for what? It’s depressing that with so many dead those affected are being encouraged to believe that they are somehow to be treated in a special way, doing away with the legal framework and close enquiry that is required for a Public Enquiry. There is also a criminal investigation going on.  Surely she is not suggesting that it should be rushed though without collecting of evidence and going through all the proper processes.

Sir Martin told those at the meeting: “I can't do more than assure you that I know what it is to be impartial.  I've been a judge for 20 years, and I give you my word that I will look into this matter to the very best of my ability and find the facts as I see them from the evidence.”

I would have thought that what Sir Martin is saying is exactly what the Grenfell Action Group would want to hear.  Apparently not.

In what may have been on a note of  frustration Sir Martin concluded, “That's my job, that's my training, and that's what I intend to do. Now if I can't satisfy you because you have some preconception about me as a person that's up to you.

And there lies the problem.  Corbyns Labour has already set the scene.  They are deliberately confusing what a Public Enquiry is for.  They are allowing that confusion to turn to anger.  Mr Delaney suggested in an interview with the BBC that “Attention (was) focused on things that will keep May in Downing St”.  Ah, politics is in there after all Mr Delaney.

And ultimately he will seek to blame the government for lack of progress.

Mob rule.

No comments: